The new University of Crete (UOC) campus Google map implementation can be found in the following link: https://tours.nhmc.uoc.gr/maps/uoc/
Following the UOC map, I started a new Google Map for the city of Heraklion to play around with some ideas for presenting spatial related info like historical monuments, sightseeing sites etc and cooperating with the Google Street panos and a virtual tour. At the same time I experimented with a slider representing time, with which I was able to filter chronologically the monuments. This show the location of the monuments at a specific year from 1204 and on. This slider has steps as well that are points in time (years) when significant and related to the city of Heraklion historical events have occured. This map can be found in this link: https://www.panotours.gr/googlemaps/heraklion/ and is also embedded at the top of this post.
The QGIS project that is used to edit the MariaDB data. The basemap of the image is the OpenStreet map. The marker data are dynamically exported as geo json with the use of php.
The functionalities of Heraklion map (the UOC map has some of them) are:
- Plotting points of interest with custom icons on a Google Map basemap.
- Clicking anywhere on the Google Maps basemap will open the closest Google Street view photo sphere. The same logic applies if someone clicks on a point of interest.
- Filtering the points by selecting a type and search for a specific one by using a second select filter field.
- Plotting routes on the Google Maps basemap.
- There are several photo galleries and a virtual tour embedded as iframes.
- There is a point in time slider that begins from 1204 and ends up in the current year that filter the points of interest (markers) chronologically.
- It is bilingual (greek and english).
The Points of interest
The markers xml of the above link looks like this:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <markers> <marker id="84" idplace="1" name="Agios Fragkiskos monastery" name_gr="Μονή του Άγιου Φραγκίσκου" markerplace="Heraklion" markerplace_gr="Γάλλος, Ρέθυμνο" address="" lat="35.3389" lon="25.1373" type="Temple" type_el="Ναός" start="1400" end="1920" symbology="temple" description="<div>Η μονή των Φραγκισκανών μοναχών βρισκόταν στην περιοχή του σημερινού Αρχαιολογικού Μουσείου. Μετά την άλωση του Χάνδακα το 1669 μετατράπηκε σε τζαμί. &nbsp;Από τη μονή σώζεται η κύρια πύλη του ναού, που διακοσμεί σήμερα την είσοδο των Δικαστηρίων, 1900 - 1905 (Τζ. Τζερόλα, Ηράκλειο, Βικελαία Δημοτική Βιβλιοθήκη).</div>" description_en=""> <gallery id_gallery="4" gallery_en="Archaeological museum area" gallery_el="Η περιοχή του σημερινού αρχαιoλογικού μουσείου"/> </marker> </markers>
These markers are updated, created and deleted by using QGIS software with a connection to the MariaDB database.